Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:03:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pipes password from kdialog to geli attach

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:25:08 +0200 Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> BTW. sha256 is not needed.

Could be a good idea though when mounting several providers with one
keyfile/passphrase combination - if they are "salted".

> Also, as it was mentioned, keyfiles are not preprocessed by PKCS#5v2,

This however only provides additional protection when analising the disc
and a part of the passphrase is known. A brute force attack against the
passphrase will work just as well, no matter if it is salted or not.

I know that *you* know that. :-) Just wanted to point it out again.

> but this is a good example why it's worth adding such functionality.

Good idea! I've been pondering the idea of writing a front-end for geli
for some time but the fact of this missing feature stopped me because
anyone using this frontend would lose functionality.

If you make it possible to pass the passphrase on to geli from the command
line or via a pipe or something, then I'll sit down and write the
front-end for it. Provided, you don't expect me to do that in C. :-)
Python would probably be my choice here.

Regards,
Chris