Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 20:26:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        dashadow@tchnet.tchnet.com (John Hart)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with ifconfig for a virtual machine

John Hart writes:
> Ok, I have been trying over and over to get this to work, and I actually
> had it working, but then I realized that the main ip address was gone.
> Now, what I have is a start_if.ed1 file in /etc that reads:
>
> ifconfig ed1 alias 198.109.196.252 netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> I also have had the netmask at 0xffffffff, and it worked from the outside
> world, but not from the machine it is aliased to.

Did you re-arrange the code in /etc/netstart so that start_if.ed1
is called /after/ the ifconfig rather than before?

The alias netmask should be 0xffffffff, or 255.255.255.255, since
the first ifconfig command will establish a route to 198.109.196/24.
If you use another /24 netmask for the alias, ifconfig will whine
about "ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists" but the alias
will still work.

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       FreeBSD Servers and Workstations
(954) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions