Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 03:51:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weird SCSI timeout problem

On Mar. 8/98 I reported problems with the trio of old HP drives I had
installed on my Adaptec 2740A. They were basically "timed out in message out
phase" and "timed out while idle" while the drives were VERY busy.
Someone who was having similar problems advised me to remove the various AHC
performance options.  This did seem to eliminate the symptoms and some system
performance as well.

FYI:
By reducing the maximum xfer rate for the problem drives by 20%, I have been
able to re-enable all the AHC options with no problems experienced during
the past couple of weeks.

Regards,
Tom