Date:      02 Sep 1995 00:04:41 GMT
From:      MICHAEL@gnj.or.jp (MICHAEL)
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: FreeBSD Q&A Page

> Well!  I really have to say that I wish more people showed this kind of
> initiative! :)   This looks to be a very promising start..

Thank you for your email. Well, it's nothing major, but I noticed that some
other people were asking the same kinds of simple questions I was and didn't
notice any online reference that covered that sort of thing. Also, most
people were answering by email instead of posting a response in the news
conference, so I figured there must be a lot of duplicated effort. I received
over 10 replies alone telling me about the "wheel" group!

> There's only one small problem, of course, which is that once the number
> of Q&A entries pass 100 or so the "flat" model that Michael's using here
> is going to become pretty difficult to get through when you want to find
> the answer to some arbitrary question.  Clearly, some sort of
> categorization then becomes necessary.

Yes, I thought of that too. I didn't want to make categories to start with,
but I was planning on adding categories when the Q&A entries get to a certain
point.

>  We're working on centralizing
> this task in the FreeBSD Doc Project, and rather than have 10 little
> lists like this maybe we should all try to create one big one with a
> nice hierarchical organization?

I agree that duplicated effort would be a waste of time. And I understand
that the FreeBSD project is inherently more "organized" than the Linux
project. The relative calmness here is something I appreciate. An organized
system would be a good idea.

> I by no means wish to discourage folks
> like Michael here, and if that's too much trouble then I'd be more than
> happy to see 10 little lists than nothing at all, it just seems sad to
> duplicate effort if we can somehow manage instead to get all of this
> into one really well done FAQ and then let people put copies of it
> wherever they like.

I agree. If there is something I can do, as a beginner, to help with any of
this I would be glad to have my efforts be part of a bigger, hierarchical
undertaking rather than having a separate, independent list.

Yours,

GNJ Spectrum Tokyo +81-3-5377-2401 ¥ michael@gnj.or.jp
Featuring Internet, OneNet and Pride International Networks
IP Address 202.243.53.3, Port 3004