Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 18:15:58 -0800
From:      Michael Haro <mharo@area51.fremont.ca.us>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What do you think?

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 11:52:40AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 05:14:11PM -0800, Michael Haro wrote:
> > What do you think about creating some sort of variable in the Makefile
> > like NEXT_VERSION or something which contains either a regular expression
> > or printf like format string so that a script can go through the ports and
> > check for new versions.
>
> So with your idea, does it go off and check whether the new sources are
> available and blindly compile them with the old patches or with none at
> all? Or does it only check to see if there's a new FreeBSD port yet,
> and if so download the port and the sources and compile it, without
> noticing that the port is for another version of FreeBSD? Or does it
> notice that and install the ports upgrade kits as well, and if so what
> if they are not suitable? Or will it simply check and report on
> availability of new versions? What if I'm not connected to the 'net at
> the time, will it dial up and slug my phone bill each time it wants to
> have a look?

My idea was actually to help the ports maintainers know when a new version
of the source for a program they are responsible for is out.

If you are looking for a utility to tell you if there is a newer version
of a port already in existance than the version you have installed, take
a look at the sysutils/pkg_version port.

If you want to be able to update your ports tree with the current version,
use cvsup.  See /usr/share/examples/cvsup/.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

Michael