Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.org>, <developers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GCC 3.2 in progress

These arguments are all quite familiar- I'm not really moved one way or
the other.

The point here is that major changes need to be very visible on a
product's schedule. You can argue that it isn't a major change- but I'd
assert that any toolchain change *is* a major change.

I'm *not* arguing against the change- I don't know nearly enough to have
an opinion. I *am* commenting on how major changes coming in with little
notice often add substantial delays. Furthermore, lack of putting such
changes up in such a fashion that a folks in distributed development
environment can then adequately plan/protect themselves so *their* stuff
is protected is also an issue.

Look- if Alexander hadn't said anything, I *probably* wouldn't have
noticed.  However, he felt that this was important enough to tease
people with a "10 minutes until the bombs start falling" mail message.
It's not unreasonable to raise this as an issue.

Or if you think it *is* unreasonable, we can go offline so I can discuss
it.

-matt