Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 2020 11:31:16 +0200
From:      Trenton Schulz <trueos@norwegianrockcat.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sg driver not working for makemkv in 12-stable/12.2 Beta

Hello,

It seems that the Linux-compatible "scsi-generic" driver is not working
in 12-stable when using multimedia/makemkv; it never finds a blu-ray
player, which it does on 12.1.

The change that seems to have done it is revision 361038

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/12/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_sg.c

If I use a scsi_sg.c from before that revision, everything works as in
12.1. I didn't have a chance to look any deeper to see which bit caused
the problem and won't for some days.

Makemkv is a linux binary-only application, so it is a black box as far
as getting a backtrace usable backtrace as it also doesn't crash in
searching for the device. Though I would happily take any pointers on
how one would debug this.

I actually noticed this in -CURRENT, but tested it quickly now in
stable, and thought I should say something before 12.2 goes out.

Should I also file a bugzilla report or is this sufficient?

Best regards,

--
Trenton