Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 08:04:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Should 1540A be de-supported?

> > Apart from lots of issues with SCSI hardware that SCO took in stride and
> > FreeBSD hated ("unknown board" errors for an Adaptec 1540A, which is one
> > of the non-thru-hole, 2nd generation surface-mount boards,
>
> I BELIEVE this is fixed, they bumped the board-id code and we didn't
> recognise it (3 line fix).

The 1540A should still not work as poorly as it has in recent (post
clustering) kernels.

I don't think the 1540A is usable without fixes, and should probably
be de-supported until it works properly It doesn't support as many
scatter gather pages (I'm a little fuzzy on this) as the other
boards, and newer versions of the OS generate large transfers that
fail.

2.1: probably it should be de-supported in 2.1, since if it is
going to trash people they are better off just not having it work.

Here is some of what we recognize directly:

>                case 0x31: return "AHA-1540";	   /* '1' */
>                case 0x41: return "AHA-154x[AB]"; /* 'A' */
>                case 0x42: return "AHA-1640";

There is a hole between 0x31 and 0x41 where odd revs of the 1540A's
could sneak in.  (We now treat anything from 0x47 and 0x56 as
probably some kind of a newly released 1542.)

If Frank is willing it would be useful to recompile aha1542.c with
AHADEBUG and then boot verbosely and see what is going on.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936