Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:55:04 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch for Alpha/AXP

Kazutaka YOKOTA scribbled this message on Jul 24:

> >> I am afraid this is not quite right.
> >>
> >> Bruce, Doug and I are currently in discussion to fix this.
> >
> >Hrm.  Why does the AXP cons.c track udev_t while the x86 verson
> >doesn't?  As best as I can tell, the AXP doesn't seem to need it any
> >more than the x86 does, unless I've missed something.
>
> As dev_t is now a struct, we cannot track dev_t for SYSCTL.  It has to
> be udev_t.  sys/i386/i386/cons.c should be doing the same as the alpha
> version, rather than vice versa.
>
> To quote Bruce: "alpha/alpha/cons.c should be identical with
> i386/i386/cons.c and not in a machine-dependent place.  All current
> differences are bugs" :-)

hmmm.. guess it's time for me to bring out my MI cons.c that I did a
long time ago and dust it off??  Bruce kinda vetoed it, but I also didn't
have the courage to commit it back then...  and it's not hard to make
it MI....

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson