Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:40:23 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: whereis in 2.2.8-RELEASE

John Saunders wrote:

> Looking at /usr/sys/usr.sbin/sysctl/Makefile makes me think
> that a symbolic link has gone missing in your system.
>
> BINDIR= /sbin
> LINKS=  ${BINDIR}/sysctl /usr/sbin/sysctl

That's not here on current.

#	@(#)Makefile	8.1 (Berkeley) 6/6/93
#	$Id: Makefile,v 1.3 1997/12/18 15:34:08 bde Exp $

PROG=	sysctl
MAN8=	sysctl.8

BINDIR=	/sbin
NOSHARED?=	yes

.include <bsd.prog.mk>

Quite why that's under /usr/src/usr.sbin instead of /usr/src/sbin I
don't know, perhaps someone would care to explain.

Besides, doesn't LINKS= create hard links? That's not much help when
/sbin and /usr/sbin are different filesystems, so your symlink solution
seems better.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk