Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 10:40:26 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD networking question

Is it possible to configure a FreeBSD machine to be a gateway between
a Workgroup for Windows subnet, an AppleTalk network, and another
subnet of FreeBSD machines?  The FreeBSD subnet has access to the
Internet.  How would such a machine be configured?

Diagram:

          Appletalk network
          +-----+     +-----+
          +-----+     +-----+                  |
                                            +-----+
                                    +-------|     |  FreeBSD gateway
                                    |       +-----+
          WfW network               |          |
          +-----+     +-----+       |          |
          |     |-----|     |--...--+          |
          +-----+     +-----+                  |

                   FreeBSD subnet              |
                   +-----+     +-----+         |
  Internet  <------|     |-----|     |----...--+
                   +-----+     +-----+

Currently, the Appletalk and WfW networks are not connected to anything.
We'd like to connect those two networks together, and at the same time
obtain access to the internet through the FreeBSD network which already
has this capability.

Without getting into a long story, our resources are limited because it
takes too long to obtain needed hardware/software.  What we do have is
what you see above with two supported Ethernet cards in the FreeBSD gateway.
There is also one Mac in the Appletalk network that has a copy of
Mach Ten (TM) which is suppose to be BSD4.3, and an Ethernet controller.
We may be able to use that Mac as the bridge between the Appletalk
network and the WfW network which eliminates the need to connect the
Appletalk network to the FreeBSD gateway.

We have legal IP addresses for the FreeBSD subnet, but may have to use
some of those reserved IP addresses for internal use on the WfW and the
Appletalk network.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org