Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:36:16 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, "Damon Hammis" <squirrel@hammis.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problems with aha-1540b card

> > Subject: Problems with aha-1540b card
> >

> > I need some help here.  I've been beating on this problem for
> days now and
> > can't figure out what the problem is.  I have a bunch of aha-1540 cards
> > that I can't get working in 4.0-RELEASE.  I know the cards work because
> > the were in the system when I was running 3.3 without a problem.  I
> > rebuilt the system with 4.0 and now they don't work.  I've tried
> > rebuilding the kernel, even a fresh install.  I've tried
> different drives
> > connected to it, nothing.  The errors I'm getting on boot are below:
> >
> > (probe0:aha0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc5bc9508 - timed out
> > (probe0:aha0:0:0:0): CCB 0xc5bc9508 - timed out
> > aha0: aha_cmd: Timeout waiting for adapter idle
> > ahainitmboxes: Initialization command failed
> > aha0: No longer in timeout
> >
> > and then it just keeps repeating over and over and not booting.
> >
> > I've searched the archives of the list and can't seem to find anything.
> > If anyone has an idea on how to get these cards working then
> please let me
> > know.
> >

> I've got some 1542b's that I have working in 3.4.  I'll try booting off a
> 4.0 disk tonight and see what happens.
>
> Something to remember about these cards is that they are pretty
> archaic.  I
> can't boot off mine, I don't know why, but I think it is because
> the BIOS on
> the card is just too old.  I have also had problems getting them
> to work on
> my P2 machine.  (I have them running in a 486 right now)
> Personally, I only
> use these things because I get a peverse satisfaction out of making old
> hardware work.  It's also the reason I use Unix to do things. It's harder
> that way.  :)
>
> Josh

K...I booted 4.0 off floppy just now and it picked up the 1542b that I have
just fine.  port 0x330-333 irq 11 drq 5.  If you have multiple cards that
were working in 3.x that don't work in 4.0 then it sounds to me like the
driver is broken.  That happened to my Future Domain 850.  It worked in 2.x
and then in 3.x the support for it went away.

Josh