Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:10:30 +0100
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Warren Liddell <shinjii@maydias.com>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 6.x to 7.x

Warren Liddell wrote:
> On Thursday 07 August 2008 23:18:34 Marc Coyles wrote:
>
>>> If i have read the man pages correct the command im using being ...
>>>
>>> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.0-CURRENT
>>>
>> # sh freebsd-update.sh -f freebsd-update.conf -r 7.0-RELEASE upgrade
>>
>> followed eventually by...
>>
>> # sh freebsd-update.sh -f freebsd-update.conf install
>>
>> I have just upgraded a 6.2 box to 7.0 Release following the instructions
>> at
>> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11-11-freebsd-major-version-upgrade
>> .html to the letter without issue (other than bind needing to be
>> reinstalled from ports afterwards)
>>
>> L8rs!
>> Marci
>>

> # freebsd-update -r 7.0-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>
> # sh freebsd-update.sh -f freebsd-update.conf -r 7.0-RELEASE upgrade
> freebsd-update.sh: Can't open freebsd-update.sh: No such file or directory
>
> I then did a search for the sh file ....
>
> # sh freebsd-update.sh -f freebsd-update.conf -r 7.0-RELEASE upgrade
> File does not exist or is not readable: freebsd-update.conf
>
> freebsd-update is part of base system so there was no need to install it via
> the port etc .. or is there ?

no for versions of FreeBSD beyond 6.3 its in base and you dont need to
install it seperately to upgrade between versions.
freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE upgrade
seems to have an effect where 7.0-RELEASE no longer does. I have CCed
freebsd-stable@ on this to see if anyone knows if this is intended or a
mistake.

Vince