Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:34:58 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Jenkins <b_jenkins@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sshetty@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Controller Not Found

Brian; from the output that you've provided us so far, it seems clear
that the system BIOS is not correctly locating and configuring the
CL-PD6730, which is why we aren't finding it.  If the device isn't
configured by the PCI BIOS, it's quite inappropriate for us to attempt
to assign resources to it.  While the hack proposed below may work in
your case, it's not a useful general solution, and you should pursue
your vendor to have them explain why their PCI BIOS is not enumerating
and configuring the board.

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 and PAO-980430 on a single board
> computer with a PCMCIA add-on board. The PCMCIA controller chip is a
> Cirrus Logic CL-PD6730, but the PCI code is not finding it.  I just
> received the information below from the manufacturer.  What is the
> best way to modify the kernel source code in order to get this working?

You could add some code to the PCI bus initialisation which would use
the pci_conf_read/write routines to make the appropriate changes.

The "best" way to do this would involve having the BIOS enumerate and
enable the device, and then perhaps adding some trivial code in
pcic_p.c.  As it stands, however, it's not clear that even the code
below will actually be sufficient.

If you're not comfortable wrangling with your vendor, please send me a
copy of the verbose boot output again, along with your technical
contact with the vendor and the details of your hardware (model
numbers, BIOS revisions, etc.), and I'll see if we can address this.