Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 15:34:28 +0200 (SAT)
From:      rv@groa.uct.ac.za (Russell Vincent)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Large RAM on ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D

Joe Greco wrote (about the ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D):
> I can't get anything more than 192MB to work reliably on this board
> (6 x 32MB SIMM modules) - unless we go with the mega mondo $$$$ 64MB
> SIMM's..  and even those I have doubts about.  We put the 4 that we
> have on a P/I-P55T2P4 board and it refused to work until we relaxed
> the RAM timing to 70ns.  Gives me a sick feeling.

Seems I may be encountering this problem on some of my 5 machines
with 256MB, after all. Our supplier has just pointed me to pages 12-33 of:

   http://www.intel.com/design/pcisets/datashts/inte2.htm

(which I am struggling to download on our poor international link).

Apparently this document describes a method for increasing the
current flow to DRAM (programatically) because as you put more
chips into an Intel 430HX motherboard (probably any motherboard), the
current flow drops, moving the trigger level (I had a nice little
diagram drawn for me which would be tricky to duplicate here  :-) ).
This makes some sense to me (even with my poor technical knowledge)
as the 4x64MB chips we are using are quite large. Reducing the DRAM
timing to 70ns will also help, although, as you say, isn't suitable.

If anyone does add some code for this, I would be most interested in
testing it. I will try myself (when I can get the datasheet), but
my programming skills are not good, so don't rely on me.  :-)

 -Russell