Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:58:47 -0800
From:      Mike O'Brien <mikeobrien@spamcop.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   X.org 6.9 doesn't work with NVidia 7800 GTX

    I'm running FreeBSD 6-STABLE, cvsupped as of last night.  I upgraded
the ports
collection to X.org 6.9 at the same time.  Under the X that ships with
6-RELEASE, in
the ISO image, and under X.org 6.9, the symptoms are the same.

    The hardware is an Athlon 4400+ CPU on an Asus motherboard and an NVIDIA
7800 GTX video card.

    I'm not running the NVidia FreeBSD driver (yet), preferring to see
the VESA work
first before stirring the pot.  If I run X -probeonly, I get a message
that "module fbdev
cannot be found".  This message is, however, almost unreadable because
the probing
of the video card causes the console contrast to drop almost to zero.
The room has to
be almost pitch-black before the remaining dim text can be read.  I have
to reboot
the machine to make the console brightness and contrast normal again.

    Any takers on either of these problems?

Mike O'Brien