Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:45:41 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        TrouBle <trouble@hackfurby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: best mail client

TrouBle wrote:

> okay, heres a question what is the best mail client for X supporting pop/imap, and 80 character formatting. Ive looked at postilion, spruce, blasa.... each with its advantages and dis-advantages, spruce the nicest interface lacks marking unread messages, and bogs my system terribly, when retrieving mail. Balsa, also a decent interface but refuses to wrap aty 80 characters, though it does show me unread messages, postilion, well, a bit difficult to understand, i couldnt even figure out how to setup my pop3 info to retrieve my mail. id say if balsa and spruce got together it would be killer, also looked at ishmail but could not get it to build, under FreeBSD, suggestions welcome...

The wrapping is noticed, as bad as Outlook.

Netscape does the job as does pine in a xterm window. Mutt has a half
hearted attempt at supporting IMAP. (X)Emacs also reputedly has a piece
of LISP that will do something with IMAP, but exactly what is not
clear. Sort of like mutt in that.

Roelof

Het Slakke Huis op http://nisser.com/Slak/
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.