Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 07:19:19 +0100
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@ste-land.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ipfilter tcp flags question

Hmm

not sure about the if No flags are set,
Isn't that stated in the obfuscation.org/ipf/
papers?

There is not an overruling block behind that yet btw,
It's just the first lines i wrote since i want to
kick that traffic out  now, instead of
just before my overruling block line

I always use that,

block default stuff that doesnot wanted to be in the other list

pass stuff

block all packets that are still alive here.

Like that :)

btw The flags RU etc are just the TCP flags, are they set in the first
packet,
second

perhaps this clarifies a bit

 Some examples use flags S/SA instead of flags  S.
flags  S  actually  equates  to flags S/AUPRFS and
matches against only the SYN packet out of all six
possible  flags, while flags S/SA will allow pack-
ets that may or may not have the URG, PSH, FIN, or
RST  flags  set.  Some protocols demand the URG or
PSH flags, and S/SAFR would be a better choice for
these,  however  we feel that it is less secure to
blindly use S/SA when it isn't required.  But it's
your firewall.

=> S/SAFR allow those in {for tcp ofcourse}

zo, initial blocks (opt lsrr opt ssrr, short etc)
    pass phrases with S/SAFR options
    block anything else

This might block undefined flags,

not sure though :)