Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:32:34 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        Rodrigo Luiz Vargas Costa <rlcosta@lucent.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD using volume manager

On Tuesday, 12 November 2002 at 21:08:56 +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> 	I would like to ask you if is possible, and after which version,
>> install FreeBSD using virtual disks (like Veritas Volume Manager or VINUM).
>> Is this possible?
>
> It seems that Greg Lehey hasn't got the time to read lists right
> now,

Correct.  It was 3 am here.

> so I'll just chime in and say that TTBOMK it is not possible to have
> root partition on vinum volume, at least in FreeBSD 4.x.

Also correct.

> It seems to me that this is kind of chicken-and-egg problem - if the
> support for vinum volumes is implemented as a module (vinum.ko),
> then you need to load this module before you can access the logical
> volume.  Hence, vinum.ko itself can't be on a vinum volume :-)

In fact, there are tricks to work around this.  I had the root file
system on a Vinum volume nearly three years ago, but there were
objections to the tricks I was using.  I'm still planning to update
things.  It's not very much work, but I haven't found the time yet.

Greg