Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 22:09:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, core@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, kaleb@x.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: Locale stuff: call for conclusion.

>>> We already agree. I expect some sort of patch from you or Kaleb.

>>Copy the 8859-1 US locale.  No real patch is needed.

>Wait. I remember Bruce's proposal to eliminate all upper/lower
>tags, he refers to ANSI here and Kaleb agrees.
>I have several ideas in this direction: maybe remove punct, space
>and alpha tags too? I.e. made it in two parts: control & printable.
>Or maybe three parts (control/printable/alpha)?
>Bruce, what you can say?

The C locale must give the following behaviour for the ctype functions:

	isalnum: true iff isalpha or isdigit is true (restricted)
	isalpha: true iff isupper or islower is true (restricted)
	isctrl: completely implementation defined (unrestricted)
	isdigit: true iff arg is in [0-9] (restricted)
	isgraph: true iff arg is "printing" and not a space (unrestricted)
	islower: true iff arg is in [a-z] (restricted)
	isprint: true iff arg is "printing" (unrestricted)
	ispunct: true iff isgraph is true and isalnum is false (unrestricted)
	isspace: true iff the arg is in [ \f\n\r\t\v] (restricted)
	isupper: true iff arg is in [A-Z] (restricted)
	isxdigit: true iff arg is in [0-9a-fA-F] (restricted)

Would this actually help?  Anything that deals with words may be confused
by national alpha and space characters not satisfying isalpha() and
isspace().

Bruce