Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 1997 02:45:16 -0500
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ensoniq soundscape redux

To all:

No replies to my original message about how to configure the ensoniq.
RTFM, checked the mail archives, compiled a kernel with sound support
using a modified version of the soundblaster driver (port 330, irq 5).
The kernel compiled just fine, but my card is still not detected.

The problem? If I understand one of the messages in the mail archive
aright, as well as the implications of the ensoniq manual, this sound
board has to be software initialized.  Someone wrote a DOS program to do
just that; he runs the program and then warm reboots into FreeBSD. A
similar thing happens when you play DOS games that need a soundblaster
compatible board but can't run in a window under WIN 95.  In other
words, you exit Windows, restart in DOS mode, and this initializes a new
set of DOS drivers for the ensoniq soundscape.

This is really more trouble than I care to go through.  Anybody know how
to initialize this card from the FreeBSD kernel?  Any ideas--and then
I'll drop the subject:)

Michael