Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:26:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ivan Passos <ivan@cyclades.com>
Cc:        support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Ivan Passos wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE in my HD and I found its
> installation utility quite confusing. I installed other FreeBSD
> distributions in the past (2.1.6, 2.2.0 and 2.2.2) with no problems,
> and the 2.2.5 is running, but I'm having to configure some things
> by hand that were pre-configured during installation in the previous
> releases. Well, maybe I was too dumb to find these steps during
> installation, but in the previous ones I didn't have to look for
> them ...

I found that /etc/rc.conf wasn't set up properly after my upgrade from a
2.2-GAMMA.  I ended up modifying rc.conf manually to set up the networking
and such.  I can't trace this directly tho since it hasn't been reported
widely.

> Anyway, my question is: is there a utility to configure the network
> settings (such as a netconfig or netcfg - I've already tried these
> ones with no luck ...) or I have to configure it by hand, editting
> the files???

You can try running /stand/sysinstall, go into post-install, then network
interfaces.