Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:14:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        tadayuki@mediaone.net
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On 28 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:

>> > To Mikhail: Do you still think this is an improvement?
>>
>> Yes, I  do. Unfortunately, I lost  the track of your  logic some time
>> ago  and am  increasingly confused  by your  arguments. Perhaps,  you
>> should ask someone else to rephrase them :-\

> You don't need to follow the arguments.

I thought, I did... See below :-\

> You haven't answered this.
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:43:09 -0500 (EST)
>> Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
>> > The reason  port A  needs upgrading should  not be  the PORTREVISON
>> > somewhere, but  the mere fact,  that port B,  for which there  is a
>> > lib-dependency, is being upgraded. If portupgrade does not do this,
>> > it should -- always -- with or without my modifications.
>> portupgrade -r 'port B' will update 'port A' if port A's PORTREVISION
>> is bumped.
> You just blamed the tool. Do you have any practical answer for this?

My proposal does not affect the (binary) upgrades. As stated before, the
library number of  libB and the PORTREVISIONs  of both A and  B are only
loosely  linked. Either  one  can  change without  the  others --  blame
anything :)  Most typicly, port  B's PORTREVISION  will go up  while the
libB.so's version will stay the same. You, probably, want the dependency
to be as strict as

	LIB_DEPENDS=	port-B-<version>_<revision>

in  other words  --  depend  on the  particular  version-revision of  B,
instead of  the major number  of one of  the libraries installed  by it.
That's  way too  specific  in my  opinion,  and in  the  opinion of  the
LIB_DEPENDS' designers, evidently :-).

My proposal has even  less to do with _packages_ --  it only affects the
ports-building.

Without following each other's arguments we  may as well stop right now.
I lost track of yours, and so did Alexander. I urge you to find someone,
who understands them and ask him/her to rephrase them for us. Thank you,

	-mi