Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:00:53 -0400
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum/Fsck 1TB filesystem

On Monday, 16 October 2000 at 10:58:40 -0700, Charles Henrich wrote:
>>> I finally remembered fsck -b (duh), and it fsck'd off the alternate block
>>> just fine, corrected a single file error.  When I went and touched the
>>> same file however, the same error conditions occured, and another reboot.
>>
>> Panic?
>
> No, just the hang again.  FreeBSD never panic'd.  That filesystem went into a
> hung state.

It would be interesting to see the output of 'px lax' if you can get
it at this point.  Also, you could do this before starting:

 # vinum debug 8

When the system hangs, then do:

 # vinum info -V > file

file will then contain information about the last requests issued to
the volume.

>> Yes, I'd agree.  As I said, you're pushing the limit, and you may just be
>> the first person to ever try to use a 1 TB file system.
>
> I was hoping to put together a 2TB system, didnt realize FreeBSD
> didnt support that as of yet.  Is anyone working on a journaled file
> system for FreeBSD?

Not currently.  At the moment I'm at a storage systems workshop where
I've heard nice things about XFS, but nobody is currently working on
it for FreeBSD.

> (Fsck'ing 1TB takes a looong time :)

It won't when you use the snapshot code which is currently under
development.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.