Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 02:12:04 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

Mike Smith wrote:

> >  Can you hold off a couple of days?  Something you've changed recently
> >  has broken PCCARD support on my Toshiba, but I haven't been able to
> >  track it down yet.
> >
> > My response:
> >
> >  Can you try out this patch.
>
> Sure.  Doesn't help though.  8(  Allocating IRQ 11 to the pcic actually
> seems harmless; we still get card insertion/removal interrupts, so it
> must be working.
>
> Unfortunately I just get the dreaded "driver allocation failed for ..."
> messages, where I didn't before.

When I had my PCCARD woes yesterday due to a mis-allocated IRQ in my kernel
config, I too seemed to get the insertion/removal interrupts (in 2.2.5),
but got the "driver allocation failed for..." message in that setup.

Once I corrected the situation of having another device on the same IRQ
as the ethernet pc-card, then things started working.  Of course you're
running different code than I am, but was just wondering if that message
might be due to the same symptom of an IRQ conflict?

I don't know which Toshiba notebook you have Mike, but if it's anything
like mine, IRQ 11 is dedicated as the "PCI" interrupt, and has about 3-4
things hung on it - Infrared ports, USB ports, and, hey(?) Win95 assigns
the "Toshiba ToPIC97 CardBus Controller"s to IRQ 11 also
(the 3C589D gets to use IRQ 10, the only free IRQ, in both W95 and FreeBSD).

Don't know if any of this will help the two of you resolve how to automatically
assign things, but thought I'd pass it along just in case...

Gary