Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:20:17 +0100
From:      David James <dwj@agw.bt.co.uk>
To:        Jay.Erickson@ibm.net
Cc:        Mark Dawson <md@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq's Built in SCSI

> O.K. Mark's Floppy image got be part way.  It DID see the SMART array
> controller, but it didn't find the embedded SCSI controller.

I don't think that any driver exists for the embedded SCSI controller
on Proliant [124]000 machines. It's a long time since I looked at this,
but far as I remember they use an NCR 53c7xx chipset for which no
FreeBSD driver exists. There seems to be a Linux one but I don't wish
to run that.

> Here's more info on my setup. EISA slots 1,3,4,7 are empty
> slot 2 3Com 3C579 EISA Network Adapter
> slot 5 Compaq NetFlex-2 ENET-TR
> slot 6 SMART array controller
> embedded Compaq integrated 32-bit Fast-SCSI-2 Controller (IRQ 15)
> embedded Compaq Automatic Server Recovery (ASR)

The SMART controller will be OK. I have no idea what sort of Ethernet
NIC the NetFlex-2 really is and don't believe that there is any free
Unix driver support for it.

> Here is a snipit from the console
>
> eisa0:2 <3COM 3C579-BNC EISA Network Adapter>
> eisa0:5 <CPQ6101=0xe116101> unknown device
> eisa0:6 <CPQ4070=0xe114070> unknown device
> eisa0:8 <CPQ4410=0xe114410> unknown device

The eisa0:8 message is harmless. It's because the SMART controller driver
dates from FreeBSD 2.1.0 and doesn't yet know about the current method
for probing EISA slots. It needs an update to tidy it up but should be
OK for now.

> What else shoult I be looking for during the boot?
> Should I try it WithOut the SMART array controller??

I don't think that would make a difference.

David

email: dwj@agw.bt.co.uk, phone: +44 171 250 6469, fax: +44 171 336 0214
post:  pp8.5a, 207 Old Street, London EC1V 9PS,  U.K.