Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 01:23:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        mikel@bns.com.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: SCSI CD-ROM causing auto filesystem check failure

mikel@bns.com.au wrote...
> G'Day,
>
> I am running a FreeBSD 2.1.0 box with the following hardware
>
> Adaptec VL SCSI 2842A
> 2 Seagate SCSI Hard Disks
> 1 Wangdat 3200 SCSI Tape Drive
> 16 Meg of RAM
> 486 dx 33 Motherboard
>
> Quite happily.  Yesterday I decided to add a Sony SCSI CD-ROM to the
> system.  Thinking that it should just plug in and work (after reading the
> handbook), I shutdown the system, plugged in the drive and rebooted.  When
> the kernel startup got to identifying the SCSI devices it saw everything,
> but produced the following output:
>
> <SNIP><Identifys correctly the two Seagates and the WangDAT correctly><SNIP>
>
> cd0(ahc1:3:0): CD-ROM
> cd0(ahc1:3:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:20,0
> cd0(ahc1:3:0):  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed cd
> present.[400000 x 2048 byte records]
> swapon: adding /dev/sd0s1b as swap device
> Automatic reboot in progress...
> /dev/rsd0a: clean, 42862 free (6 frags, etc
> Can't open /dev/rsd2s1e: Device not configured
> /dev/rsd2s1e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
> /dev/rsd2s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTANCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> Automatic file system check failed... help!
>
> <And then goes to an emergancy sh shell.>
>
> Now, I looked at the above and thought that I forgot to put "device cd0"
> in the kernel, so after recompiling the kernel and running "MAKEDEV cd0"
> it still didn't work.
>
> As soon as I unplug the CD-ROM though, everything runs smoothly.  Now, my
> thought is that I have to try and stop the boot process from autochecking
> the CD-ROM, as it doesn't need checking as such... Or do I need to whack
> something into /etc/disktab?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards and Salutations,
>
> Mikel
>
> --
> Mikel Lindsaar     |  "If the dream is big enough,
> mikel@bns.com.au   |        the facts don't count!"
> (Under Construction)    http://www.bns.com.au/webdev/mikel/

A wild guess, but is your CD drive at the same SCSI address as one of your
hard drives?  It looks like the Hard drive is inaccesible when the CD is
fired up, SCSI address clash migh be the cause.

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key