Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2018 11:54:44 +0200
From:      "Michael .." <mikey@usa.com>
To:        "John-Mark Gurney" <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GELI without passphrase on ZFS root

I can boot using passphrase *and* keyfile encrypted userkey=2E  The keyfile=
 is accessible on /boot/ unencrypted=2E (realise this is in no way "secure"=
 but proves keyfile is accessible) i=2Ee:

geli setkey -K /boot/encryption=2Ekey /dev/xyz
(prompted for new passphrase)

Able to reboot correctly by entering new passphrase=2E

The problem is as soon as I update the userkey to be without the passphras=
e component, it is still requested during boot and then obviously there is =
no correct entry=2E i=2Ee=2E

geli setkey -K /boot/encryption=2Ekey -P /dev/xyz
(no passphrase prompt due to -P)

Passphrase is still requested during boot and cannot proceed=2E

I tried "geli configure -B /dev/xyz" as suggested by Alaksiej, there is no=
 prompt for passphrase but booting breaks at mountroot (I guess because the=
 "boot" flag has been removed?)=2E

Is this a bug in that geom_eli does not try to decrypt using just keyfile =
before prompting user for passphrase?

Regards,

Michael=2E