Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:07:33 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Now that Darwin/MacOS X is a member of the BSD community with
especially close ties to FreeBSD, I'd like more information than I've
been able to dig up via Yahoo! and http://www.apple.com/.

In the short term what I'd like to know is how usable is Darwin. And
how well its supports Apple's PowerBooks. Specifically the current
model of PowerBook G3 333 MHz. All I've been able to find out so far is
a statement that Darwin supports all the hardware Mac OS X does, and
Mac OS X doesn't do "server" functions on PowerBooks. Disappointed
because that sounds like a deliberate handicap worthy of Microsoft.

Thinking after Christmas might be a good time to buy my first laptop
and I'd rather have a dual boot MacOS/BSD system than a Windows/BSD
system. And that its just possible Darwin will run better on PowerBooks
than finding the right compatible wintel laptop for FreeBSD.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net