Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 18:05:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        patb@commlitho.com (Patrick Burm)
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS "slow"

> I have a P100 setup as the "primary" nameserver
> for my dial-up users. I am using a PM3 from livingston
> for my access server. The P100 has 48 megs RAM.
>
> My question is...is a P100 fast enough if DNS is all
> this box is really doing?

That is *WAY* overkill for most nameservers at *most*
ISP's.  I wouldn't downgrade, but it should be plenty
if that's all the machine is doing....

> Reason I'm asking...some of my users are getting
> "error getting address for xxx.xxxx.xxx" for my
> own mail server! they can try again a second time
> and everything is fine. The ones who complain the
> most are the people with 14.4s.

They could be timing out. Have you had any problems
looking up dns's locally (Aside from below).

> I also notice that a "pmwho" will sometimes not
> resolve reverse addresses either, then a second pull
> will have the names listed.

The livingston boxes don't do DNS lookups unless they
NEED to, therefor it's fairly normal to notice the
first 'pmwho' not resolve the entries, and the second
one resolve them..  They do 'timeout', so if you wait
awhile, another pmwho will not resolve, but if you run
it again, it will..  Etc.. It's a vicious cycle.

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net