Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2012 03:09:14 -0300
From:      joaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2/3D rendering cards
References:  <20120725030004.52b1e8c2@pop1.hm.net.br> <CABzXLYMWt2fX6RoPePcqLGb0FiSFOpcjtS=EP30caeTRbGvZHw@mail.gmail.com> <20120725112622.24184266@pop1.hm.net.br> <5010064A.7030406@bally-wulff.de> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1207251306210.5206@wonkity.com> <20120725165439.01c894e9@pop1.hm.net.br> <5010500D.4030109@ksu.ru> <20120725170817.5d6d1edb@pop1.hm.net.br> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1207251522400.6379@wonkity.com> <20120726023449.0bb85746@pop1.hm.net.br> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1207260653440.10327@wonkity.com>

--Sig_/_0pCM4qxh57_QzrAvVn1IJ9

Em Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:26:53 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> escreveu:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, joaoBR wrote:
>=20
> >>
> >> xf86-video-ati-6.14.6_1
> >> xorg-7.5.2
> >> xorg-server-1.10.6,1
> >>

> > where comes this video driver version from, mine is
> > xf86-video-ati-6.14.3_1 for same xorg-server
>=20
> Sorry, I forgot about that.  It's the latest version of the
> ATI/Radeon driver, been testing it for a week or so now.  Installed
> via the x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati port, no changes to the port
> except the version number and distinfo.  But I had acceleration with
> the standard 6.14.3 version also.  The only problem I've seen with
> this one is console switching, or rather switching back from a
> console to X.
>=20
> >> It depends on the card.  Cards up through the 4000 series should be
> >> supported by the current driver.  This particular one is an HD4650
> >> PCIe, but I've also used the HD4850 and had reports of success with
> >> either 4250 or 4350 cards.  Some people have reported 2D
> >> acceleration on the HD5470.
> >
> > well all ati cards are PCIe and are supported, question is what
> > capabilities they have with FreeBSD and new xorg-serevr
>=20
> UMS is used for cards up to the 4000 series, but the driver wants KMS=20
> for newer cards.  I mention PCIe because it may make a difference, I=20
> also have PCI and AGP versions of various ATI cards.
>=20

do I understand this right? are you saying what you say "the driver
wants" or that newer cards do understand KMS?=20

for my understandings so far is no point to use xorg-server=20
WITH_KMS (for ati) since ati cards are still not working with it

> > I certainly have not payed enough attention but by the versions
> > mismatch I see and must say: You still are hiding the rendering
> > capabilities of YOUR card
>=20
> Saying I'm hiding things is not a good way to motivate me to provide=20
> more information.
>=20

sorry but that is not my intention, saying it this way here is polite
and friendly, at least in this context, when I say here "show me" it may
be interpreted as kind of an order, even with "please" and here we do
not like to get orders, different countries, different expressions, so
sorry again

> These are cut and paste output from glxinfo and pkg_info.  The card
> is fast enough to run ioquake, openarena, and OpenGL screen savers.=20
> alienarena is pretty much unusably slow with either card, which I
> think is due to the driver rather than video card capability.
>=20
> > because I have only ATI cards and a lot, I hacked my eyes out to
> > figure it out and NO ati card so far gives me dri with xorg-server
> > 1.10 and it's legitimate drivers. So I would like to know about how
> > you did it (if) and see your versions, including mesa, GL, libglut
> > and glx rendering string.
>=20
> And that "if" again implies I'm falsifying this.  Please stop that.
>=20

falsifying is a very strong word and certainly i did not even came
close to think that. Nevertheless this (if) is originated by tons of
information out there, but without versions, without facts and dates,
simply saying it works and opinions, even people post as
knowledge something they just read in another thread, without
relating it to the used versions is not enough.=20

Unfortunately xorg for FreeBSD has very little good docs, even not on
freebsd.org. So at this moment people are very much on their own to
figure out how to configure xorg with their hardware. I think in this
cases this technical talks should be said with a pinch of salt, because
it is not only spent time to figure it out but also money when buying
hardware which then does not work as aspected.

> libXxf86dga-1.1.2   X DGA Extension
> libXxf86misc-1.0.3  X XF86-Misc Extension
> libXxf86vm-1.1.1    X Vidmode Extension
> libdrm-2.4.31_1     Userspace interface to kernel Direct Rendering
> Module servi libglade2-2.6.4_5   GNOME glade library
> libglut-7.11.2      OpenGL utility toolkit
> linux-f10-xorg-libs-7.4_1 Xorg libraries (Linux Fedora 10)
> xf86-input-keyboard-1.6.1 X.Org keyboard input driver
> xf86-input-mouse-1.7.1 X.Org mouse input driver
> xf86-video-ati-6.14.6_1 X.Org ati display driver
> xf86-video-vesa-2.3.0_2 X.Org vesa display driver
> xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0 XFree86-Bigfont extension headers
> xf86dga-1.0.3       Test program for the XFree86-DGA extension
> xf86dgaproto-2.1    XFree86-DGA extension headers
> xf86driproto-2.1.1  XFree86-DRI extension headers
> xf86miscproto-0.9.3 XFree86-Misc extension headers
> xf86vidmodeproto-2.3.1 XFree86-VidModeExtension extension headers
> xorg-7.5.2          X.Org complete distribution metaport
> xorg-apps-7.5.2     X.org apps meta-port
> xorg-cf-files-1.0.4 X.org cf files for use with imake builds
> xorg-docs-1.6,1     X.org documentation files
> xorg-drivers-7.5.2  X.org drivers meta-port
> xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.5.1 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
> xorg-fonts-7.5.1    X.org fonts meta-port
> xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.5.1 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
> xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.5.1 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
> xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.5.1 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
> xorg-fonts-truetype-7.5.1 X.Org TrueType fonts
> xorg-fonts-type1-7.5.1 X.Org Type1 fonts
> xorg-libraries-7.5.1 X.org libraries meta-port
> xorg-macros-1.16.1  X.Org development aclocal macros
> xorg-server-1.10.6,1 X.Org X server and related programs
>=20
> The glx rendering string was in the previous message.
>=20

thanks, so no hidden magic ... so it is your card=20

Without xorg.conf your card shows up with the same rendering string?

> >From make.conf:
> WITH_NEW_XORG=3Dyes
> WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=3Dyes
>=20

If I am not wrong WITHOUT_NOUVEAU was removed?

> xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log at
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/radeon/
>=20

I believe that AIGLX and COMPOSITE is default and no need to enable. I
also use dualhead and the only config I have actually only two monitor
sections to define the position of each. All this usual load and
extension settings seem not necessary anymore, unless the card need
some special config, as for example radeonhd does not enable XINERAMA,
in order to get dualhead with radeonhd it need to be set.

I believe EXA is also default

I think DontZap makes no sense anymore because it does not zap anymore
with either setting ... does it work for you?

you have no problems running different modes on the monitors? If I do
that the mousecursor goes crazy after some time, shows up as a
scribbled block 1x1cm

> None of this is new.  I've been running this version of xorg since it=20
> was available in ports a few months ago.

well, xorg got much much better in terms of misconfiguration in
xorg.conf, seems it stands everything, even unused options and only
setting the wrong card driver can make it stop ...

so last question, kind of useless but do you use kde4? Is openGL
(DesktopEffects) enabled and running fine?

now it would be nice that more people show up to compile a list of ati
cards which really can do direct rendering, that would be helpfull for
all

thank you for posting all this

--=20

Jo=E3o Martins (JoaoBR)