Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:03:28 +0100
From:      Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: snmpd Error opening specified endpoint

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 15:52, Saint Aardvark the Carpeted wrote:
> something else listening on UDP port 161:
> > # netstat -a | grep snm
> > udp4       0      0  *.snmp                 *.*

Yes, strange, isn't it ?
Especially since this is a brand new system not even connected to the internet
(I mean, there can't be any rootkit or so...).

> Try running "sockstat | grep 161" and posting the results.

Pfuhh, why didn't I do this before, what an idiot...
I can't reach the server right now, so I'll post the output as soon as I get
to the box...

> Also, a quick Google for "snmp specified endpoint" turns up a fair
> number of newsgroup messages; some seem to suggest that there may be
> problems with the very latest version of net-snmpd.  By any chance, are
> you compiling a very recent version?

Yes, I've seen all those google posts before asking here, BUT:
- I compiled net-snmp from the ports collection
- the latest port is from January 2nd, so I guess someone would have caught
this problem before me if it was specifically FreeBSD/port related.

Obviously, there's something wrong on my box...
I'll try to give more information soon.

Thanks.

Antoine