Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:22:52 -0400
From:      Byron Campbell <wa4geg@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: R: Re: R: Re: ports/148272: polkit-gnome-authen core dumps when starting gnome

On 07/07/2010 07:46 PM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>> logging
>> so:

>> every

>> ABI

>> backtrace,

>> see
>> some
>>>>

>>> If you can reliably reproduce the polkit-gnome crash, remove the
>>> /usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libgnomebreakpad.so module, and get a
>>> backtrace of the new core file.
>>>

>> I've tried removing the module after rebuilding polkit, polkit-gnome and bug-
>> buddy WITH_DEBUG, but I'm not getting any core file.
>> This is what I get in ~/.xsession-errors:
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
>> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "gnome-settings-daemon"
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
>> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "metacity"
>> Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/bar/.
>> config/metacity/sessions/10d6257d9fd17a13d7127854042857675300000790890017.ms:
>> Failed to open file '/home/bar/.
>> config/metacity/sessions/10d6257d9fd17a13d7127854042857675300000790890017.ms':
>> No such file or directory
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
>> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "gnome-panel"
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
>> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "nautilus"
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
>> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "canberra-gtk-play"
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": Shared object
>> "libgnomebreakpad.so" not found, required by "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-
>> 1"
>>
>> On the first login I also got failure loading some applets as you can see
>> here:
>> http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9f051e0414.png
>> Maybe some are the same givig troubles to Kevin (e.g. WorkspaceSwitcher
>> BTW, why it's always tring to "read saved session file" ? ~/.
>> config/metacity/sessions/ is always empty!
>>
>> About my laptop, the ports were as outdated as I was thinking: Jun 20th.
>> And I'm getting the same exact behaviors I'm seeing on my desktop.
>>

> I am unable to reproduce even with startx.  I have the following in my
> .xinitrc:
>
> exec ck-launch-session gnome-session
>
> GNOME comes up.  It's slow to start since gnome-panel cannot contact
> GDM, but I get working applets, and my workspace switcher works.  At
> this point, I would advise those seeing a problem to open a bug (or
> bugs) with GNOME Bugzilla.
>
> Joe

Workspace Switcher works for me too when starting gnome w/ startx. Using
"exec ck-launch-session gnome-session" in .xinitrc speeds up things by a
good 10~11 seconds over just "exec gnome-session".

Interestingly, Workspace Switcher does not work for either Gnome or XFCE
when they are launched through GDM. So maybe something that GDM is
calling upon (or not) needs to be looked at?

Byron