Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 18:31:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu (Annelise Anderson)
Cc:        scott@statsci.com, ac199@hwcn.org, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

> On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Scott Blachowicz wrote:
>
> > Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > But it may improve the public schools.  They'd have to compete for
> > > students.
> >
> > How do they compete if they have less money? Don't the vouchers imply less
> > money for the public schools, which in turn probably implies cutbacks and no
> > means to expand the curriculae?
>
> Most proposals involve new public funds, so the schools wouldn't get
> less money (or less money per student).  Ultimately there's no reason
> why a voucher system should cost (overall) more than people are
> currently paying in taxes plus what they pay for private tuition.
>
> There's also no evidence that what students learn correlates with
> the amount spent per student.

Imagine the taxes that we "are" paying for those who are undereducated
or are a burden on society.  Seems like improving the schools by competition
is a long-term strategy, and in the long-term will pay off by more productive
people.  (In the sense of those who fit the needed job slots better.)

John