Date:      Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:00:19 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AltQ + ng_iface

--nextPart2598972.cpXo4H64aI

On Friday 29 July 2005 12:35, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I do this to great effect..
> consider:
> two sites connected by links in which teh bottleneck is 200KB/sec (1 E1?)
> when a lot of data is flowing from 1 to 2  then data from 2 to 1 is also
> slowed
> down because the acks have to go through the queues on ingress side of the
> bottleneck router.
>
> I add a dummynet entry on 1, limiting output to 190KB/sec, so that the
> queue is in dummynet and not the intermediate router, and then allow small
> ack packets
> to bypass that queue. As a result the data from 2 to 1 also flows at
> near capacity,
> and with a much lower latency. SInce data flows tend to be large packets,
> I sometimes actually prioitise ALL small packets allowing interactive
> stuff to
> bypass ftps etc. and sometimes I do it on both ends.

I tried to update my ipfw setup, but I could not manage to get ipfw + natd =
to=20
work with stateful rules :(

Although since natd runs in userland I may as well switch back to ppp(8) to=
=20
save extra kernel/userland transitions. I was hoping to be able to use pf +=
=20
mpd since that puts all of the packet processing into the kernel.

I did try pf + ipfw + dummynet (eww) but it appears that when the packets g=
et=20
reinjected back into the system after the pipes they go through pf again=20
which doesn't like them (not 100% sure why.. maybe they don't match a state=
=20
properly any more?)

I'll try my hand at the ng_iface ALTQ patch.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum