Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:51:08 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LaTeX oder teTeX

Roland Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:51:25PM +0000, Christian Walther wrote:
>
>> a few years ago I got a good introduction to TeX, but for some reason
>> stopped using it. Now I want to pick up where I left. I found LaTeX and
>> teTeX in ports, so I wonder what the best tex distribution is.
>> According to the teTeX website there will be no further development (at
>> least not from its original author Thomas Esser). Is LaTeX a better
>> candidate?
>>

> It looks like the LaTeX in ports is even older than teTeX.
>
> The best TeX distribution for UNIX these days is TeXLive. It is a very
> complete TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt distribution. You can
> download an iso image here: http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html
> You'll have to build the binaries yourself, because the pre-built
> FreeBSD binaries are for 4.x, i.e. out of date. But it's not that difficult.
>

>> There should be some support for (or by) LyX, because I would like to
>> use LyX to get start. I know that TeX has a steep learning curve and I
>> hope to reduce it with LyX so that I can dive into TeX while working on
>> my projects.
>>

> If you're relatively new to the TeX world, start with the ConTeXt macro
> package for TeX, because it is very actively developed. And it's easier
> than plain TeX.
>
> If you want something easier, and you don't care if it doesn't look quite
> as nice as (La)TeX try OpenOffice or Koffice.
>
> Roland

teTeX is a standard distribution of TeX and Latex for Unix and Unix like
OS. You need to install teTeX-base which will get you everything you
need. Of course it is old since I believe that TeX code is completely
frozen since 2001. On the other note teTeX distribution is discontinued
last year in favor of TeXLive. TeXLive is not in ports as there are many
issues with dependencies. Since TeX is a very old peace of software many
things depend on teTeX . People work actively on porting TeXLive but I
do not know of single OS or a Linux distro that recommends it at the
moment.

You can run TeXLive from live DVD however. You can get it from ctan web
site.
I have teTeX on 3 FreeBSD boxes and one OpenBSD box and I also use
TeXLive as I am using the Latex class of presentation powerdot
which is not ported for FreeBSD and I could not get it install manually
since it requires some new fonts not contained in the teTeX version
which is ported for FreeBSD.

OpenBSD will also not see TeXLive at least until 4.3