Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 15:49:25 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Decebal Topala <decebal@mail.md>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: don't fork bomb

Alfred,

Let me apologize in advance for (ab)using your post to reply to Decebal
Topala.

Alfred Perlstein writes:

    On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Decebal Topala wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I used an script to ping all ip addresses in my ocal ip subnet.
    > I was very slow. In order to make this faster i put ping process in
    > baground. After 15 second system is dumpimg.

    can you please tell us the panic message?

Decebal

If the goal is to run a ping sweep then there are better tools than ping(1)
for this.  I'd recommend looking at fping in the ports collection.

    for f in `jot 255`
    do
	for g in `jot 255`
	do
	    echo 10.0.$f.$g
	done
    done | /usr/local/sbin/fping

Much faster, easier to process the output and very much lower resource
utilization than forking for every address. Even with Alfred's
optimization of waiting on 254 process boundaries.

chris

__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
303 773 9134