Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:24:01 +0100
From:      Ryan Dimbleby <ryan@hosty.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing with FTP and DHCP over ADSL.

Hi,

I'm trying to install FBSD over ADSL at home.

The connection is NAT'd which means all the internal addresses are on
192.168.x. range. :(

After choosing the FTP site and asking the system to use DHCP it can't
detect the settings from the router. This takes me to a blank ifconfig screen.

I tried adding the settings as instucted by my ISP.

Gateway: 192.168.254.254
name server: 192.168.254.254
IP: 192.168.254.3 (NT box had previously used this address.)
mask: 255.255.255.0

Then the look up timed out as it could not resolve ftp.uk.freebsd.org.

I've looked all over the website but can't find anything that can help - most
install help files seem to be CDROM based.

I've checked to see if Ethernet (3Com) has been detected and it says it
has.

Any suggestions?

tia

--