Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 00:04:17 -0800
From:      joe@vpop.net (Joe McDonald)
To:        "Alejandro Vázquez C." <alexv@sui.gda.itesm.mx>, mreimer@vpop.net
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Alejandro Vazquez <alexv@sui.gda.itesm.mx>, Carlos Mercado <cmercado@interface.com.mx>
Subject:   Re: SetUID & Apache in 2.2-RELEASE...

A co-worker ran into a similiar problem.  He dug into the perl source and
found that it checks it's name and if it's not perl, it won't go suid. So
that:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl5  would *not* work
but
#!/usr/local/bin/perl  would work.

I'm not sure of the version, but perhaps this is the problem?

regards,
-joe

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997 01:21:10 -0600, "Alejandro Vázquez C."
<alexv@sui.gda.itesm.mx> spaketh:

>Alejandro Vázquez C. wrote:
>
>   I used to have some setuids CGIs running with my 2.1.5 fbsdbox, and
>
>  them executed pretty well with Apache 1.1.1 & Perl 5.002.
>
>  Now, I upgraded to 2.2-RELEASE, Apache 1.2b7 & Perl 5.003, and none
>  of
>  the setuids cgis run (being executed  by anybody but root). When I
>  remove from them the setuid flag, they can be executed (but I need
>  execute them as setuids). Any Ideas? Thanx in advance...
>
>New data about this:
>Other FBSD 2.2 boxes with Perl5.003 can do the job (execute a setuid cgi
>under Apache 1.2b7). I think it's a compatibility problem in the script
>itself (Larry, are you there? If so, why can't I use my old 5.002
>setuid-scripts with 5.003).

           * NewsHub: Updated every 15 minutes/24 hours a day! *
                          http://newshub.com/