Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:10:57 -0600
From:      Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com>
Cc:        standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emacs and style(9)

"M. Warner Losh" wrote:

> : Well, this is pretty personal stuff. I doubt that "cause" is the right
> : word, but I can believe that the smaller the indentation level, the more
> : inclined someone might be to throw another if (...) or two in there. It
> : takes some judgement to realize when to break out a block of code into a
> : separate function.
>
> Let's just say that I've seen shallow indentation favored by
> programmers that tended to lack such judgement :-)
>
> : Still, 8 spaces seems a bit excessive to me, especially if the code
> : contains long variable names, etc.
>
> True, but for style(9) programs it is the law of the land...

What's a style(9) program? I've been doing a little work on the at
utility, and I've seen three or more different indentation styles
employed (sometimes within the same function).

Maybe a good working comporomise between standardization and personal
preference could be achieved with indent(1). If it (or something
similar) con be setup to reformat code to the style(9) specs, we could
use our preferences when writing the code, and then translate it to the
standard format for submission.

Joe