Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 21:53:59 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v3.5!!!!!!!!!

>I like 4.0 just fine for my home network....but if I am going to get a call
>at 2am because some mission critical piece of hardware is down, I'll use
3.4
>everytime.  3.x has years of in the field testing under its belt.

Er, about 1 year 5 months, actually. Not *years*...

>4.0 doesn't.

No, but it has a lot of the old, stable, tried and true code in it,
though...

>And no matter how wonderful the coders are, and they are
>wonderful, don't get me wrong, there are fun treats (read that as bugs)
>waiting to be discovered in 4.0.

And this presumes that bugs won't (or don't) find their way into 3.x-STABLE?
I've cvsupped lots of updates to the source code for 3.x, so apparently it's
not optimal yet...

>Personally, I'd just as soon let someone
>else find them.

Well, the only *bug* I've seen in 4.0-STABLE is that the new ad driver no
longer supports my old Pentium 90's broken IDE controller, which forced me
spend $29 on a Promise Ultra33 card. And I haven't had any problems
whatsoever with the three other computer I have 4.0 running on (a rather
diverse group, too: Dell Dimension XPS P166c, Compaq Deskpro P75, IBM
PC300PL PIII-350)...

Of course, this isn't to say that lagging behind isn't a sound strategy,
especially for a mission-critical machine, but I think it's definitely fair
to say that 4.0 really is ready for prime time...

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor
On Matters of Most Grave Concern