Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:25:03 +0200
From:      "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
To:        "Christopher Key" <cjk32@cam.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Adaptec AAR-1220SA / AAR-1430SA

>Hello,

>I'm trying to establish whether I can expect the Adaptec AAR-1220SA or=20
>AAR-1430SA SATA cards to work with 6.2.  They're not on the list of=20
>supported hardware, which does include a lot of the other Adaptec=20
>cards.  However, the Adaptec cards that are listed all seem to be=20
>hardware RAID cards, whereas the 1220SA and 1430SA use something called =

>'HostRAID', which I think just means software raid.  Does this just =
mean=20
>that I'll be unable to use the RAID functionality on the cards, not=20
>really a concern, or are they unlikely to work at all?
>
>any thanks,
>
>Chris Key

I have a 1210SA adapter with 6.2 to use a gmirror.
It looked all was working fine but when untarring large files or even a =
csup of the portstree I got TIME OUT messages on channel ad6
First I thought it was the disk so to eliminate that I switched the =
disks on the controller and got the same timeouts on ad6.

I then searched the chipset for these adapters and soren the ata =
developer stated to stay away from those chipsets.

I now have a 3ware 8006-2LP adapter and that works ok till now.

See here
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg88965.html

regards,
Johan