Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:41:46 -0700
From:      "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Meta-key and 104-key keyboard

Hi all;

I have a 104-key keyboard on my FreeBSD box and I am trying to find a way to
map the "funny little" windows key as the meta-key in the console since bash
likes to use the meta key for certain editing functions. In the current
mode, I need to press the ESC key and then some other key to do the meta
function.  I am hoping to find a way to re-map the windows key to do that
for me.

It appears I need to modify the keymap in /usr/share/syscons/keymaps, but I
am not sure *what* needs to get changed or added.

I have found prior postings on how to do this for X, but I can not seem to
run X on this box (yet another sob story).

If someone has some info for me, please let me know if this solution will
work like the current ESC key (tap first key, then tap next key) or will it
work like a CTRL key where it need to be pressed WHILE the other key is
tapped.

Thanks, and please be sure to cc directly to me since I don't subscribe to
FreeBSD-questions because of the high volume.

Jim