Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:00:38 +0100
From:      Oliver von Bueren <maillist@ovb.ch>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support of ISDN Subsystem under Freebsd 6.x/7.x - amd64

 Hi Bjoern

>> So for me it's the choice of having old code in the tree, which kind
>> of works but does not cover my needs anymore OR move on and
>> incorporate a newer version having moved into the current days with
>> support of hardware that is available. Or does someone still use the
>> 8bit Teles ISA ISDN card? I have once, but they are long gone, don't
>> have a system with ISA anymore.
>
> I still have some Teles cards around and they have been working fine,
> so why should I replace them? I don't need a PCIE only quad core
> machine to
> drive an ISDN line.
>
> That said, what would "your needs" be? List them. All. With details.
> People
> need to know about them.
I don't have the very latest quad-core hardware around either, but
having the need to upgrade FreeBSD 4.x system, which have ISA cards in,
to a more recent hardware, perhaps to no more used servers aged around 3
years old, I have to buy new cards because of the lack of ISA bus. I
don't need  massive CPU power for the ISDN lines, these machines often
do a hole range of tasks.

My needs are to have a CAPI interface for "recent" passive cards like
the AVM Fritz PCI and the multi-port cards by various brands,
http://www.beronet.net/ is a starting point, but there are others which
use the same chipset.

The hardware for obvious reasons, I can't get my old Teles cards to work
in the more recent servers.
The CAPI because of many apps require it. Like CallWeaver or Asterisk,
like some fax apps.

BTW: I belief the old Teles ISA card is still supported by the
HPS-Version of i4b. My intention was not to throw out support for older
hardware, but to integrate the new ones and make newer interfaces like
CAPI available in the base system.

> No, there is great demand but only few hands.
I know that, believe me. I did and sometimes still do some debugging to
get "my" stuff working and if I somehow can, I give my patches back so
others can use them if they like to. And it's the time or better lack
thereof which prevents me from taking on a project to move it forward.
Most of us have a busy life. Some twenty years ago, I could spend
considerable time developing software. The Internet was not what it is
today, my software was for the FidoNet, which some might remember.

Cheers,
Oliver