Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 22:52:35 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        John and Jennifer Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        jkoshy@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trying to "make" docs but getting no where

On Wed, Dec 29, 1999 at 06:45:04AM -0700, John and Jennifer Reynolds wrote:
> I need docbook-241? If this is true, then should the docproj metaport Makefile
> also show this dependency? It just shows a dependency on 3.1:
>
>      ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/3.1:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/docbook-310

Aw, crap.  I thought I'd fixed this.

Technically, the FDP only needs version 3.1 of the DTD available.  Which
is why the docproj/ port only specifies 3.1.

However, doc/share/mk/doc.docbook.mk contains

    DOCBOOKCATALOG= ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/catalog

That file is only created by the docbook/ meta-port, it's not created by
any of the docbook-* ports.

However, if you step back a week or so, the dependency line in docproj/
looked like

    ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/docbook

This triggered a bug where one of the other docbook-* ports was installed,
creating ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook, which satisfied the dependency,
without installing the correct version of DocBook.  I thought I'd fixed
it by changing the dependency line.

The fix I'm about to commit is to change the dependency line to

    ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/catalog:${PORTSDIR}/textproc/docbook

i.e., now it's depending on the file existing, not just the directory.
Since this file is only created by the docbook/ port, and not by any of
the docbook-*/ ports, this dependency will only be fulfilled if the
meta-port is correctly installed, and should fix the problem you're
having.

The alternative fix is to doc/share/mk/doc.docbook.mk, and would involve
changing

    DOCBOOKCATALOG= ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/catalog

    DOCBOOKCATALOG= ${PREFIX}/share/sgml/docbook/3.1/catalog

However, when we switch to DocBook 3.2 (whenever it's released) that would
involve a change to doc.docbook.mk instead, and I'm not sure that's
appropriate.  I'm happy to be convinved otherwise though.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell