Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:15:00 -0400
From:      Jim Zajkowski <jim@jimz.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended SSL-friendly crypto accelerator

On Apr 8, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Rumen Telbizov wrote:

> I spoke with rainbow ( about cryptoswift)
> a month ago. Initially they told
> me there are drivers ... then they
> changed their minds .. and told
> me that FreeBSD is unsupported.
> I didn't clear the issue anyway.

I had the worst ever tech phone conversation with Rainbow support about
the CSwift and FreeBSD.  The box says FreeBSD, the manual says FreeBSD,
the website said FreeBSD.

The call went similar to this:

   Me: I need to get the FreeBSD drivers for this card, please send them
to me.
Them: We don't support FreeBSD anymore.  I have old drivers.
   Me: I don't care that you don't "support" it, I need the drivers you
have.
Them: They're not supported.
   Me: I got that.  Send them to me anyway, I'll try and make it work.
Them: Well the drivers aren't supported.
   Me: Look, the box, documentation, and website all say you have or had
some support for this.
Them: Where in the manual does it say that?  I bet you can't find it.
   Me: (shouting) Page 11-153 (whatever it was, I don't have the manual
anymore) says this card is supported under FreeBSD, AIX, [etc]
Them: The drivers aren't supported.
   Me: I UNDERSTAND THAT, SEND THEM TO ME ANYWAY.
Them: I'm letting you know they're not supported.

In the end the drivers didn't work and I didn't have enough time to
play around, so I unfortunately installed Dead Rat.

If I were to do it over again, I'd buy the nCipher.

--Jim

--
Jim Zajkowski          OpenPGP 0x21135C3    http://www.jimz.net/pgp.asc
System Administrator  8A9E 1DDF 944D 83C3 AEAB  8F74 8697 A823 2113 5C53