Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 1995 10:45:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        fbsd@clem.systemsix.com (Steve Passe)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

> Hello,
>
> >     I think I've followed this whole thread correctly, and my
> > interpretation is this:  we want to have dynamically generated online
> > HTML help and search capabilities, but can't afford the extra disk
> > space an HTTP server requires.  Right?
>
> Not exactly, it's not an issue of whether we have diskspace for an
> httpd (apporx 320k) it's that we don't have diskspace for everything
> in the world.  The discussion is whether an httpd deserves a piece
> of this limited resource (ie the user's disk).  We are away's from
> running out of cdrom space (i think) so i suggest that we quit
> worrying about what deserves to be in the releases and concentrate
> on building decent groupings of optional packages from which a user
> can easily choose to install the items he/she wants.  IMHO that's
> as close as we can come to pleasing everybody.

Actually, that's not this issue. There will certainly be a hhtpd on the
cdrom and in the ports tree, maybe even a selection.

The issue is whether our documentation should require a httpd to be
running in order to read them properly.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/