Date:      Tue, 5 May 2020 07:12:53 +0100
From:      Shamim Shahriar <shamim.shahriar@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LTE modem?

On 05/05/2020 04:53, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> Most of the cell modems (over the years) that I have seen show up as serial
> devices and emulate a basic AT command set.  In most cases, you need to
> know the dial string for your carrier --- it's often something goofball
> like "ATDT pppservice.mycarrier.com" ... and then, after connecting
> speaking ppp ... sometimes even without authentication.  The LTE modem I
> picked up for my most recent laptop (and goes in an internal slot) fits
> this bill.  IIRC, it shows up as a USB serial device.
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:24 PM Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com> wrote:

Personally I prefer the ones that offer an Ethernet port; it ensures
that whatever "interesting" activity needs to happen at the LTE end is
confined to that box only -- easy to troubleshoot without disturbing the
rest of the set-up. Another advantage is that most of these LTE modems
allow me to connect an external antenna (a life saver when you have to
have something in the middle of nowhere, and the tower is just on the
other side of the ridge :D).

There are devices that allow you to attach a USB LTE dongle (as opposed
to having a built-in SIM slot), please make sure you get the
manufacturer recommended dongle in those cases -- as otherwise
"incompatibility" will waste your time.

Just my 2p, hope this helps.

All the best.