Date:      Fri, 05 Jun 1998 20:23:43 GMT
From:      310@ovb.ch (Oliver von Bueren)
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long Question...:)

Hello.

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:04:42 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>Our upsteam provider is telling us that we don't need to change our LAN as
>they can tell our LAN router to route all packets in that range to the
>server that connects the remote LAN to ours... does this make sense?  They
>say it's just a matter of static routing?

That does work for all the traffic from/to this router and therefore
to the internet. But all other machines on your local class c net
don't know anything about that, they assume the other hosts are also
on the local net. This means that these hosts need to answer ARP
request (what they can't because the aren't on the same net). And here
comes what I did at a friends site with a similar setup. But please be
careful, it's not the nicest solution but works very good on a FreeBSD
2.1.7. I compiled the Proxy-ARP option into the kernel and setup the
box as a router between these two "networks".

Assume ed0 is your base network and ed1 your small "subnet":
ifconfig ed0 inet 204.101.15.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig ed1 inet 204.101.15.248 netmask 255.255.255.248
IP-Forwarding enabled. That should do it too.

That way the "gateway" does the ARP for the addresses on the small
"subnet" and can be connected by all hosts without static routes. For
the hosts on this "small subnet" exists no problem, because the have
the correct netmask for such a subnet and send the right addresses to
the gateway.

About the kernel option, extract from LINT:
# ARP_PROXYALL enables global proxy ARP.  Beware!  This can burn
# your house down!  See netinet/if_ether.c for the gory details.
# (Eventually there will be a better management interface.)
#
options         ARP_PROXYALL            # global proxy ARP

       Cheers,
       Oliver