Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:51:01 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Lee dewd" <american_dewd@hotmail.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Symbios SCSI controller 53C810

Hello Lee,

> I have an old Compaq ProSignia that has a Symbios SCSI 53C810 SCSI
> controller card built in.  I start the install using the 2 disks, but when
> get to the beginning part of configuring the hardware that it autodetects
> don't see anything referring to the Symbios(formerly NCR) SCSI controller
in
> any way.  I've been looking through your documentation and it does say
it's
> supported but it doesn't say how to install it or what to do if it's not
> detected...  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

This controller chip is just working fine. Itīs in the mschine Iīm using
here to support my external scanner.

Donīt worry about it not being listed. At the point of installation you
refer to, you can select or deselect additional drivers. This is no
auto-detection of hardware. If you donīt deselect certain hardware here, you
will get some non-harming boot messages similar to "device not found" in the
future. Of course you can correct this later after having installed your
system.
Are the disks youīre referring to SCSI ones attached to your Symbios
controller? Then you know, itīs working. If there is nothing attached, check
your boot messages, when you first reboot after your install with the
command "dmesg | less". You should find a reference to your controller
there. If you build your own kernel later on your way, pay attention to keep
the relevant lines.
Hope this helps.

BTW, for future questions on this list add some more information about your
system, especially which version of FreeBSD you want to install. There is a
regular posting on this list "How to get most out of FreeBSD questions".
Watch for it, it will help you to ask precisely and to feed the list with
necessary information, which will increase your chances to get good answers.

Ciao
Siegbert